Free Shipping on all orders above $35

Costa Rica - Diego Robelo - Anaerobic Natural

Regular price $25.00

We are incredibly excited to have snagged 140lbs of this limited release F1 Hybrid varietal from Costa Rican's Aquiares Estate. This coffee is everything we love about the innovation and improvements of experimental processing and data collection that is running smoothly in the coffee production world now a days. Expect this coffee to be more than a simple experience of a hot cup of coffee, rather, this coffee is incredibly complex with flavors, textures, and acidity changing throughout the cup as it goes from hot down to cool. For some more information about where this coffee is from and its uniqueness please read on. 

All Aquiares coffee is picked by hand to ensure consistent high quality. Each tree is visited up to seven times during the harvest to ensure that only fully red ripe beans – called “cherries” -- are picked. The skilled hands of the pickers represent the farm’s most valuable asset. The pickers come from the community of Aquiares, nearby towns, and the neighboring country of Nicaragua. The farm ensures that all workers have a safe work environment and a comfortable place to live. Workers coming from further away can live in on-site housing and use a children’s day-care. The farm sponsors doctors’ visits for pickers and their families twice a week where nutritional health advice is also given. Many pickers return each year, confirming success in providing a secure “home” in Aquiares. 

Aquiares, one of Costa Rica’s largest and most historic coffee farms, sits high on the fertile slopes of Turrialba Volcano. Producing coffee continuously for over a century, the farm has developed an enduring model for growing high-quality Arabica coffee, protecting a stunning natural setting, and supporting a thriving local community of 1,800 people. Established by British farmers in 1890, Aquiares was one of the first estates to produce and export Costa Rican coffee. Since 1971, three owner families have worked together with the farm ́s staff and community to implement a modern model of sustainable agriculture. 

Aquiares is the largest continuous coffee farm in Costa Rica, covering 924 hectares (2,283 acres); 80% of these (673 hectares or 1,663 acres) are shade-grown Arabica coffee while the remaining 20 % (199 hectares or 492 acres) are protected forest. Coffee plots are constantly interlaced with natural water springs and countless streams and rivers, all of which are protected with buffer zones following the standards of our Rainforest Alliance certification. The net- work of natural corridors throughout the farm connects the large preserved forests in the two river valleys, providing a healthy environment for the local animals, birds, and plants. The farm manages the entire coffee production chain, from seedling production to plant cultivation, bean picking and milling. This ensures we meet the highest standards of quality assurance and can guarantee a traceable product. Aquiares produces it’s own coffee seedlings. Grafting is a technique used that increases root volume, and decreases the use of pesticides. All the coffee is grown at a high altitude: from 820 mts. to 1,400 mts. (2,690 ft. to 4,593 ft.) above sea level. Caturra is the main varietal, but climate change and pests require constant experimentation with new varieties that can adapt better to future conditions. Throughout the season, workers from the community care for the trees: pruning, fertilizing, weeding, and protecting them. To take better care of it ́s field workers, Aquiares has established first-of-its-kind physical therapy sessions and also a daily warm-up routine of exercise before work.

Aquiares coffee is characterized by a very distinct sweet (fruity) flavor profile. Its profound aroma mixes chocolate and cinnamon beautifully, and gives way to a delicate citric acidity. The cup is well balanced, complex and full of character. Flavors last long as the cup finishes nice and clean. 

It is for all of these reasons and more that we chose to purchase this coffee and provide it as a limited release! We hope you enjoy!